Powered by Blogger.

About us

About us
My hubby and I have been married for 15 years. We have 4 boys and live in Laie HI. Where my husband works for BYU Hawaii.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

May Day 2012, Laie Elementary School

For those of you like myself who had never heard of a Mayday celebration, I am about to enlighten you:) Here in Laie it is a BIG deal!! The elementary school puts on a big show or should I say production. The kids practice for months and months on their dances.. Parents and teachers work for hours sewing costumes. When it is all said and done I think my kids probably have earned a degree in performing arts. They get to perform on the stage at the Polynesian and Cultural Center.
I was able to help with the Ts 3rd grade performance. Let me tell you, I had no idea what I was getting into, when I said yes. It was so time consuming but it was so worth it when the time to perform finally came.


This was the special VIP ticket I got for helping, the seats weren't very great, oh well..


"B" in his Tahitian outfit.



"B"s dance...



                                                                 "T" in his Paniolo , 
                                                             (hawaiian cowboy) outfit.


T's  Hawaiian dance video..

I won't make you sit through every grades dance, but if you have nothing else to look them up on You Tube, the costumes alone are worth it, but the dances take the cake.. I think the entire show was 3 hours long. First they have to crown the king and queen, their entire court does about 5 dances. I LOVE that performing here is considered a cool thing to do, and that the coolest kids embrace it and do it with pleasure.


1 comment:

  1. What a great blog on May Day! You were such a great help to all of us in third grade. So glad you and your family came to Laie!

    ReplyDelete